Sunday, August 23, 2026

Utility

Utilitarianism believes in the greatest good* for the greatest number of people. This is something with which I totally disagree. Every person is equally important. Their needs are not to be subordinated to those of some hypothetical ‘humanity,’ but neither should they be elevated over those of another.

This is, to be sure, more difficult in practice than in theory. We are bound to place the needs of our loved ones ahead of those we don’t know. Humans have a certain amount of built-in tribalism, both for better and worse. The dynamics of all this is certainly useful fodder for the fiction writer. I rarely write of actual politics in my stories but one can probably detect an undercurrent of a left-libertarian (that is, anarchist) viewpoint.

Fortunately, most of my protagonists are practical sorts and can work with this.

____________

*Not that anyone can agree what this is. Some say ‘happiness’ but I can be quite happy being unhappy at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment